End Slavery, Trafficking Humans & Effect Rescue
ESTHER MINISTRY of St. Joseph strives to understand the issues, causes and consequences of human trafficking in today’s world and to educate our parish and community about this modern slavery.
As a ministry, we take part in efforts that promote education, awareness, prevention, justice and healing for the tragedy of human trafficking.
We offer our prayers for the protection of all vulnerable people through the intercession of our Patron, St. Josephine Bakhita, to Our Lord Jesus Christ.
SIGNS OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- Physical/mental abuse: cuts, bruises, fear, overly submissive behavior
- Workplace abuse: not being paid, no time off, no control over services provided
- Being controlled: no eye-contact, unable to speak for self, ID taken away, threats
BECOME A SHEPHERD
In November 2016, ESTHER held a community event called Become a Shepherd with LA County Sheriff Jim McDonnell as our keynote speaker. Victim Assistant Specialist Rohida Khan from Homeland Security spoke about our collaboration and assistance. Members of the Long Beach Human Trafficking Task Force, including Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Human Trafficking (CAST), Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Long Beach Community College Foster Care and GEMS Uncovered, had resource tables. Over 100 people attended and guests assembled hygiene kits for Humanitarian Bags.
Each year ESTHER makes over 100 Humanitarian Bags consisting of basic necessities for the first few hours a survivor comes into contact with one of our agency partners. These backpacks, filled with hygiene products, clothing, socks, flip flops and comfort items like blankets, books and stuffed animals, were given to survivors through the Long Beach Police Department, the District Attorney’s Office, Homeland Security, CAST, Saving Innocence, Aviva Family and Children’s Services, GEMS Uncovered and Dream Center. Members of St. Joseph Parish and St. Bartholomew Parish help with this effort by donating goods, services and money. ESTHER also receives support from CRS through a Rice Bowl grant.
TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH
In April 2017, the Long Beach Human Trafficking Task Force partnered with the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach to raise awareness of human trafficking. The Task Force had a resource table and Barbie Box, dramatizing that children are not for sale, next to the Long Beach Police Department to reinforce their joint effort in this fight.
- For immediate law enforcement when you observe Human Trafficking: Call 911
- Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking (CAST): 1 888 539-2373 / www.cast.org
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center: 1 888 373-7888 / (free text 233733) / www.polarisproject.org
- St. Joseph Church | ESTHER Ministry | email@example.com